Sage has recently announced “some essential security updates to Sage services which directly impact older versions of Sage 50 Accounts and Sage 50cloud Accounts.
These updates are due to take place on 30 September 2022.”
While 30 September may seem like some time off, Sage recommends installing the latest updates as soon as possible to avoid possible disruption.
What do we suggest you should do?
As with any upgrade to software packages, change is inevitable, and this provides a good opportunity to consider whether the software you are using is still the best one for your purpose.
Still using Windows 3.1? Thought not!
Over time your requirements change, and the software also changes to keep up to date with modern needs. But market leaders can miss a trick and a new kid on the block appears that may offer better functionality, is more efficient or just better value for money.
We suggest that you:
- Consider what you need today and for the foreseeable future in your accounting software.
- If you think:
- that Sage 50 is still the best option for you, you should upgrade as soon as possible. Remember to backup/download your data beforehand to be on the safe side.
- there may be efficiencies or cost savings in using an alternative to Sage 50, but if you aren’t sure what’s available give us a call (we’re experts after all) and we’ll help you find the best solution for you.
What other accounting software options are there?
The benefits of cloud accounting are numerous and include:
- Software is updated automatically and always includes the most recent features, security updates and functionality
- Automation e.g. bank transactions imported automatically and recurring invoices set up to save you time
- Easier reporting for quarterly and annual tax returns
- Your data is secure in the cloud (more so than held in a box under your desk or on a laptop)
- Your information is always available and always accessible from anywhere with an internet connection
- Real time information – you’re always looking at your latest financials
- It can be easily linked with 100’s of other supporting app providers which can help you manage the business more efficiently.
- It can also reduce time spent on credit control by providing easy, linked, payment solutions for your customers
Sage also has a cloud version, but this seems to be less popular than Xero and Quickbooks with our clients
Since now might be an ideal time to review your software, please get in touch. We can show you demos, talk through your options and help you through the transition process.
More information from Sage50
Sage goes on to say, ”We are making these changes in line with industry standard security protocols, to protect you, our clients, customers and provide long term sustainability of the software.
After this date [30 September 2022], anyone using Sage 50 Accounts and Sage 50cloud Accounts v26.2 and below will no longer be able to access their software.
Urgent action required
We recommend, you install the latest updates as soon as possible to avoid any disruption. The great news is that you’re entitled to all software updates as part of your subscription.
To find out more about the security updates to Sage services, open our Help Centre.”