Plastic Packaging Tax updatePosted 2022 by Jane L
The Plastic Packaging Tax (PPT) was introduced on 1 April 2022. If you manufacture or import plastic packaging into the UK, you may need to register for PPT, submit a PPT return and pay any tax due.
As the end of the first quarterly accounting period for PPT approaches, HMRC shared some key reminders on completing PPT returns and payments.
- If you are liable to register or have already registered for PPT, from 1 July 2022 you must submit your PPT return and pay any tax due no later than 29 July 2022.
- Your PPT return needs to cover plastic packaging your business manufactured or imported into the UK, from when you became liable to 30 June 2022.
- You must keep accounts and records to support the information provided when you complete your quarterly PPT return.
- Your accounts must show how you have worked out the figures you submit on your PPT return, and your records must show the evidence to support these figures.
- You must keep your accounts and records for at least 6 years from the end of the accounting period, and record weight in tonnes, kilograms, and grams.
- You will need to pay any tax due through your online PPT account. You can pay via Direct Debit, BACS, CHAPS, Debit/Corporate credit card or Faster Payments.
- For a reminder of these steps and all return and payment dates for 2022-23, download the PPT flyer.
You may also be interested in:
- Find more information on the scope of the tax, who is liable to register and pay, and other requirements.
- What is the new “plastic packaging tax”?
- Plastic Packaging Tax Starts 1 April 2022
Who can help?
Contact us if you are concerned about you or your business’ exposure to the new plastic packaging tax, or if you wish to discuss any of the issues raised above in further detail.